Happy New Year!
So, Santa brought me a Maplelea Saila! Sadly, Christmas morning was ruined by the shiny spots on her face probably due to the box lid rubbing on her during shipping:
Maplelea nicely offered to exchange her, but the cost and annoyance of international shipping, plus awful past experiences with exchanging damaged dolls made me think twice. And I learned a valuable new thing: 30-40 mins of gentle rubbing with steel wool is fabulous for removing shiny spots from vinyl dolls like Maplelea and AG! In fact, DH practiced on a thrift store AG and really made her look a lot better! After recovering from her “plastic surgery”, Saila wanted to get out in the snow, so I made her some snowshoes: (and jeans, boots and parka)
Yeah, we do have snow, but it’s blowing past the house at 30mph, so I had to take the pix inside. 😦
And then I was making this vest for myself from handwoven fabric and the colors made me think of the arctic, so I made a tiny one for her too, from the scraps:
If you’re a weaver and want to know, it was Harrisville shetland and “Paint box” brand yarns (similar to Noro Kureyon) in the warp sett at 9 epi and just the shetland in the weft at 9ppi. The human size pattern is the “kimono” vest from Paw Prints pattern company. It’s a very easy pattern that goes together quickly and fits well, as long as you make a smaller size than you normally wear. I changed the shape a little to make it fit a doll’s body better.
Coming soon: A sled for Saila, jeans and boots made especially to fit Maplelea, a set of toasty mix-match fleece garments, and possibly the parka in the snowshoe pic (I know it doesn’t look like it, but that parka pattern was SO hard to figure out…even harder than Lederhosen and overalls which previously tied for the title of “hardest thing I ever drafted”)