Already made the robe? (If not, click here https://jenwrenne.wordpress.com/2012/07/25/hogwarts-robe-pattern-for-slim-18-dolls/)
Ok, next on our list is… Spellbooks!
Yep. It’s cute. But it’s so fast and easy your dolls can even make it themselves! (As Alister is demonstrating)
Ready to make some? Click here to download a tutorial and free book templates: Hogwarts first year books
That knife is at http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=374
and is possibly the cutest doll prop ever!
UPDATE: There are LOADS of free printables available if you do an image search. This one, for a Marauder’s Map is quite nice: http://www.britta.com/hogwarts/Year6/prep/map/MapWithInstructions.pdf
Yes, it’s still July. But your dolls are happy to dress as Harry Potter characters even when it’s not Halloween! So I present to you:
And if your dolls just NEED one too here is the free: Hogwarts robe pattern. Basic sewing knowledge is assumed but it’s a pretty easy pattern. Make one of the main fabric, one of lining (satin in your doll’s house colors would be nice) and sew together. If you have problems, post me a comment and I will try to help. If you have a .pes format embroidery machine, I am also happy to share the embroidered crest I digitized (which for some reason won’t upload here) for personal use only (not to put on things you’re going to sell) .
The very versatile fairy bodice (free pattern here: https://jenwrenne.wordpress.com/2012/07/16/patterns-and-tutorial-sort-of/) has turned into a Celtic/Renfaire outfit here:
I used Simplicity 2768 for the chemise, but lengthened the sleeves a lot and gathered them under a band of fabric.
Here is a closeup of the little pouch I actually made for Sasha’s Scottish costume (it’s OK, my dolls like to share)
Same pattern, same setting, different fabric, totally different feel…
So last weekend Jim and I went to the Colorado Irish Festival which was…not Scottish. (And you know, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzG_J7RCGS0)
My main complaints? “Ok we’re taking a 45 min break on this stage” Well, that would have been fine, but the other 2 stages also took breaks at the same time. And the only Irish dancing was a kids’ dance competition. Which would also have been fine, except those poor kids had to dance ALL DAY. And their parents camped out in the only shade available, so spectators had to sit in the broiling sun.
Ok, rant is over, Jim took lots of pix of dresses and I copied a few for the dolls. This is a pattern I drafted last summer for Sasha based on online photos and a picture in this book: http://books.google.com/books/about/Sew_the_International_Wardrobe_for_18_In.html?id=latc8G4ie9YC.
You can’t tell from the pictures, but the green and black dresses have lovely contrasting pleats. After seeing the dresses in real life, Sasha’s was way too long. (And she does have short legs…) So, believe it or not, the only adjustment I had to make to alter it for the 18″ dolls was making the sleeves wider (and just a tad longer). Kidz n Cats have football-player upper arms and Magic Attics have weird stick-out fingers. I digitized all the embroidery myself.
A copy of a very traditional looking dress. Too many Irish dance dresses that kids choose to wear are hideous fluorescent, glitter and sequin-filled monstrosities.
This dress style was really unique.It was the only set of dresses at the festival that had this type of sleeve. The original was olive green with gold and kelly green embroidery but unfortunately I couldn’t find the right combination of greens in my fabric and thread stash, so I used a royal purple (which unfortunately shows as blue in the pix).
Here is Galina again modeling a folk costume from Rzeszów (in southeast Poland). (Bodice pattern here https://jenwrenne.wordpress.com/2012/07/16/patterns-and-tutorial-sort-of/)
She is barefoot because my dressmaking skills FAR surpass my shoemaking skills. I did make some lovely embroidered Polish slippers but they are not up to the same standards as the rest of the outfit, so I took them off…
Here you can see the typical features of Rzeszów dress: red and blue embroidery on the collar and apron bottom, a plain bright skirt (sometimes with ribbon trim on the bottom) and a brightly embroidered vest with tabs along the bottom. The most difficult part was deciding which things to delete and reduce from the original. I LOVE Polish folk costumes and if you ever get the opportunity, walk around Krakow (arguably the folk art capital of Poland) and see the costumes in person. My only regret is that I was on an unemployed college-student budget when I was there. Were I to go today I would bring an empty suitcase to fill with embroidered clothes and woodcarvings.
This is a link to the costume I used as inspiration http://www.perfekt.krakow.pl/stroje/rzeszow It is a site that specializes in costumes of most of the regions of Poland. If you click around http://www.perfekt.krakow.pl/stroje you can see lots more.
I have gotten a few requests for the fairy pattern. After fighting with Acrobat for a few hours I present to you…fairy bodice pattern
UPDATE: This will also fit Sasha dolls (just shorten the skirt a little)
These are pictures of fairy costumes I made for my Galina doll:
As an Autumn fairy
And a Spring one:
What you need to see now are the pictures of my knees, which are all cut up and full of pine tar after kneeling on broken pine branches… but instead here are more pix from the photoshoot in powerpoint so they all download at once:
(The chicken one at the end is my favorite… I set her on the ground for a minute and all the chickens ran over to investigate…) 🙂